View Single Post
      07-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #79
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
Didn't read the other post... But parents and peers have the greatest influence over children... Not the media or anything else... it's been proven in the academic world and published in many peer reviewed academic journals...
I think the issue is more when there is a lack of parenting. A lot of kids I see in public places have free run and their parents do little to reign them in. When I was a kid, if I was pushing shopping carts into other peoples cars in a parking lot, like I saw some kids do once, I would not be here to type this post because my dad would've kicked me into orbit. That is in stark contrast to the parents of said kids pushing carts, who only told them "How many time have I told you not to do that?" and continued loading up their purchase into their own vehicle.

IMHO, there is too much of a sense of entitlement and lack of discipline in younger people these days. Their parents do not discipline them so they fear no repercussion nor know the consequence of their action(s). No one wants to earn anything these days (including respect). I don't see how the "golden rule" is that hard to live by.

Regarding the UFC comment, it and 'professional wrestling' do not help. Mind you, I used to train muay Thai and Pankration (several years of each). This was well before MMA went mainstream. I can't even begin to recall the amount of wannabe db's that would stroll in wanting to learn "ultimate fighting" because they saw a UFC event on PPV the previous weekend. None of them ever came back after their first class because their egos were too bruised. The best part was that most of them went to the same college as I and there would be the occasional run-in on campus. A few times I ended up walking behind some of them while they were bragging about their 'ultimate fighting' training to some girl they were trying to impress. Me being me, I'd either say hi to them or just bust out laughing. Their facial expressions said it all when they'd turn and see me. Acting tough, I once had a guy hold onto an ankle lock after I tapped. We were only doing drills, not sparring, so you go light....after all, you're just training. Since it was his first class, we went slow, too. He somewhat strained my Achilles tendon as a result of his douchebaggery. Afterwards, he cockily said "Sorry, bro, you should've tapped harder." As they say, though, round 2 is revenge. Later in class, during sparring, I put him in his place several times, called him 'bro', and told him to tap harder next time. He promptly quit.

I am a fan of the 'sport' of MMA from the sporting aspect. There is not that much of it in the US, though (unfortunately). Watch Japanese MMA and see how it contrasts to MMA int he US. Here, they are venues to get drunk and clamor for the gorilla punch knockout. Technique? Who cares if you're not slugging it out. Find your range? F-that...just start swinging. Japanese MMA....you can hear the one person yelling up in the upper deck......because the rest of the crowd is silent. The respect the Japanese fans showed the fighters was awesome. They'd actually be applauding a submission attempt and/or escape as if they were at an opera. Zuffa is just as bad as SEC in choosing the spectacle route vs the sporting route. The only difference between the two is that the former claims to present the sporting side, not the spectacle. /rant