Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

what I have read and seen online, the golf R gets the same praise

1) Great handling
2) Amazing Interior
3) Good 6-speed gearbook
4) Better then previous model(R32, R has more power and weighs about 200 lbs less due to lighter engine)

And gets ragged on for a few things

1) Low Power(compared to EVO,STI,etc)
2) Price

I am a huge fan of the Golf R, in fact, I had a 2008 VW rabbit and was waiting for it. Guess what, the Golf R has been out in europe already for 3-4 years now, and it still hasn't made it to the USA. The MKVI Golfs are coming out of production and the new MKVIII Golf is suppose to be out in fall 2012. The new GTI is speculated to be at 230 HP stock. Remember, the MKVI only have a 4 year lifecycle because they werent new models, VW just updated the MKV models(kinda like a refresh). The new MKVII is suppose to use an entirely new platform and is being built from ground up.

Now here is the real kicker. People have seen the new golf R testing(rumored for 2013 in europe) with quad exhaust, and is speculated to have around 300 hp.

The problem is that, IMO, there is no reason to get a Golf R anymore, which is a shame because I wanted one. Instead of waiting 2-3 years for the R to come to the USA, i got a 128i instead, and have had no regrets at all.

I have had almost 2 years with my 128i, and guess what, still no R. in the USA My love and passion for an R has disappeared. There are better cars coming out already.