07-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #21
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
todays F1 is so sterile, the technology (which I admire greatly BTW) has taken the interaction of the driver out, to a large extent.
How so?

There's no driver aids whatsoever. No TCS, No ABS. It's actually made it 20 times MORE involved for the driver than even 10 years ago. You just need to see Schumi attempting to adapt to all the buttons he has to push now to see that... changing wing angle, brake bias, engine map all on the fly multiple times per lap whilst travelling in excess of 200 mph for 90mins. My head can't even compute that level of neurone activity to be honest.. Which is why most races are won or lost now on concentration issues / driver error rather than reliability as it used to be (again I'm thinking towards the end of the schumi era.. IE when the McLaren was consistently faster than the ferarri but would explode and throw hakkinen into a wall for no reason rather than finish the race)

I think most people swho say F1 is uninvolved or boring are those who don't actually bother giving it a chance. It's like a soap opera though a little bit: You need to stick with it and understand how the team and driver dynamics is changing through the course of a season.. Otherwise if you dip in for half a race twice a season of course you won't enjoy it so much, non?

There is of course (not that I'm suggesting you are one of them) also the kind of participant that only watches racing to see accidents.. So that rules F1 out for more and more people due to increased reliability and the strictest marshalling and enforcement of penalties that I remember.