View Single Post
      08-01-2010, 04:34 AM   #36
zephyr
Germany
Rep
Drives: you mad

Facts from the article

I 've already read the article, so here some more specs from it.

The car have a code name 442 and will be part of the so called "Project-i" family. The first car that will come from this project is the already confirmed electric Mega-City-Vehicle(imagine the size Mini or Smart with BMW badge). This project aims to build nature-friendly cars, powered by trendy electro-motors and hybrid solutions. These cars are supposed to be revolutionary step in car manufacturing. The chasis will be made by aluminium and the body frame will consist almost entirely from carbon fiber. That means that these cars will be quite lighter from all their currently available peers. The sports car was approved from BMW to show the public the other boundaries of this project. The so called "i-100" will be a direct derivative of the Efficient Dynamics Coupe prototype.

The engine of all the cars from this family, including the current sports car, will be mounted in the back. Although it gives a hint of a mid-mounted one like Ferrari, Lamborghini and etc. it's actually not. According to BMW this will offer more room and will have 4-seats instead of the typical 2 seats in this segment. The engine in the "i-100" will be 1,5 L, 3-cylinder turbo, which will deliver around 160-180 HP. It will be further boosted by 2 electro engines, which will deliver additional 100 HP. DCT will also be a standard. There are current discusions going on in BMW, whether to offer the US-spec car with a 4-cylinder engine. The car is supposed to consume around 3 liters per 100 km. The price will be placed at around 100.000 Euros.

Here is perhaps the most interessting part. There will also be a M-Version. It will be powered by the engine from the next M3, an I6 3.0 L turbo, capable of delivering around 450 HS. The car will also be equipped with supper fast electric caps, which will store energy when the car is braking. Then stored energy could be then delivered very fast to the electro motors, to create somekind of a temporal boost. If you are a fan of the formula one, think of the last year's KERS-system. The car will cost around 170.000 Euros.

So don't interpret directly the numbers, but see the line, where is written, the car will be made from carbon fiber. You get the point! Imagine a 1100-1200 kg with 450 HS I6 turbo with additional 100 HS more from elector engines. If this thing comes out with similar figures it will blow out the peers. And we haven't mentioned the fuel consumption yet! This will be a revolutionary sports car from whatever angle you look at it. So BMW can become the benchmark even in this sector! I say
Appreciate 0