View Single Post
      12-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #58
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Honestly yes. I'm a car lover. Before we all drive silent hybrids let me enjoy some nice exhaust notes. My BT A4 was faster, turned quicker and braked better then an S4 but I would have taken the S4 over my car...
Same goes for my 135. I'm faster then an M3 but I'll take the high reving N/A S65 anyday over my car. Not only for the engine note but I like peaky engines that have to work to get some power out of. (The RS4 fits that mold and Hopefully the new RS5). I just think that ///M cars and RS should be have high reving N/A engines.

Dr325I: Yes I've driven the S4 two days after it arrived at the dealership.I had I hopes for that car because I wanted to replace my 135I with it in order to go back to the Audi camp. I wasn't that impressed with the car (it is still a good vehicle). The car that I drove had the DSG gearbox.

If Audi could the stick the TT-RS engine in their S4-S5 I would be happy.(I know it's F/I)but still...it really sounds like the old C4 S4 or UR Q.

Over and over, you keep missing the overall picture.

The 2010 S4 is going against the 335, C350...and there is absolutely no need to stick in any RS engines, etc. This engine (V6SC) is very much underutilized and some quick mods (MTM for example) could easily squeeze extra ~100HP and extra TQ out of it. Just like with the 335/135, Audi has to go conservative because:
- upcoming RS model
- looking at the future use of the V6SC engine that will most likely go into wide use

You will always wish they did this and that, but it is a simple current positioning and view into the future developments.

As for the DSG -- it did not impressme either when I initially test-drove the S4. Might be because I am not experienced with the DSG at all. I hear a lot of people being very much happy with it. On the other hand, the 6MT is very much impressive...
Appreciate 0