paraplan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007

Changing vacuum hose on the rear turbo wastegate actuator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335rocks View Post
Only done the ones across the engine.

From looking at my old pictures from underneath then I don't think you can get to it from below unless you take off the DPs. Have you tried from up top? The US guys were able to adjust the rear WG from above, so you should be able to get to the hose from above. You may need to remove the scuttle board with the air filter to get enough space. The hose/nipple should point towards the top and be really close to the firewall. So get a mirror on a stick and see if you can get to it.

What's you plan with the front one? I would expect that one to be much harder to get to?
I also wanted to change that hose and had a lot of trouble getting to it. There is no way you can get it done from the top. I managed to access the WG actuator from the bottom removing the underneath covering. It is still very tight there. I've only been able to put the hose on the nipple by shifting my body to the left and sticking my _right_ arm (no way this could be done with the left) into the opening just above the catalytic converter. This way you can do the job by holding the hose between your thumb and pointing finger. If you attempt to use your left hand, you will need to shift to the right but then the only way to hold the hose would be between pointing and middle finger. That did not work for me because my grasp was not strong enough to put the hose on.

I'm really glad I replaced that hose. The original one appeared to be broken just on the part that sits on the nipple. This was the reason for the 3100 code I had problem with. My turbos got changed sometime ago and the dealer never replaced the hose with it. I believe it got damaged when they reattached it back.

Anyway, this may be a hint for those who decide to get all hoses changed.
Appreciate 0