View Single Post
      03-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #253
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Happy to report that the BMW PE and AFE mid pipes pass the commute test. My drive consists of city, highway and hilly conditions so I get to experience the exhaust in various situations. All observations made in DS mode and with windows and sunroof closed.

First, I understand that sound is highly subjective but for reference, I hate loud and obnoxious exhausts and have a very low tolerance for droning and volume. I've been through multiple exhausts on my previous vehicles (all daily drivers) due to this. In fact, I was actually hesitant to get the midpipes due to the increase in noise, but I got them for a bargain and it made for an easier installation so I went for it.

Overall, the exhaust is barely audible when cruising but sounds amazing under load. I spend some time driving at 100 KPH (highway) and 70 KPH (uphill) and 2000-2500 RPM and the exhaust is not intrusive at all. It becomes more noticeable and simply sounds glorious as you approach and exceed 3000 RPM. The exhaust tone complements the engine noise perfectly and there is no droning whatsoever at any point. I also have a Euro airbox (stock filter) and Rev Motoring silicone intake pipe for reference.

I would describe this exhaust combination as "factory sporty," while the PE alone would be the perfect "factory" sound. The stock exhaust is far too quiet and muted. The PE accentuates the unique sound of an I6 and while this option is more costly, it is exactly how a BMW NA I6 should sound IMO. The pops and burbles on downshifts and decelaration as the RPMs decline are worth it alone!

Last edited by The Nightman; 03-13-2017 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 2