View Single Post
      06-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #70
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
By the way, here is my e-mail to Royal purple. If they respond, I will post it. I am trying to get some answers to this oil debate.

Hello,

I have a 2006 BMW 325i. As per the owner's manual, it requires LL-01 oil. There are two oils that carry this certification Castrol 0w-30 and Mobil 1 0w-40. Does your oil carry a LL-01 certification? If not why not? If you claim that Royal Purple exceeds manufacturer's specs. Can you be more specific.

For example, Castrol 0w-30 and Castrol 5w-40, does not meet API SN, does not meet SM, meets SL, SJ, ACEA A3, B3, and B4. Castrol 0w-30 is LL-01 approved and Castrol 5w-40 is not LL-01 approved. Therefore, I have to go with 0w-30 because BMW requires LL-01 oil.

Also, Castrol 10w-40: MEETS API SN, SM, SL, SJ, ACEA A3, B3, and B4 but it is not LL-01 approved. This oil meets two other criteria API SN and SM more than 0w-30 and 5w-40 and it is not LL01 approved. Since Castro's 10w-40 EXCEEDS 0w-30 but is NOT LL-01 certified I still have to use Castrol 0w-30 as per BMW.

With that in mind, here is my question. Why should I use royal purple over Castrol 0w-30 and/or Mobil 1 0w-40 when they are both LL-01 (Longlife) approved?

Thank you!

Your future customer,
Chris
IF you get a reply it'll be a wishy-washy "our oil exceeds..." They'll also mis-interpret the Magnusson Moss act and say that a dealer needs to prove that the aftermarket product caused the issue. This is a blatantly false statement and both amSOIL AND Royal Poopie continue to spread that BS.

When it comes to warranty requirements a company is free to say "you need to do xyz to keep your warranty intact" as long as they give you a few options (in this case, use any of the multitudes of LL-01 oils) In case of a lubrication issue, they can correctly say "prove to us that you've used LL-01 oil." They do NOT have to prove that the oil you used caused the problem, they merely need to show that you did not follow their maintenance instructions.
Appreciate 0