11-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #21
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbot26 View Post
So pete

Are you saying we should trust tyre manufacturers and the experts (who work for tyre manufacturers) ? They won't have a vested interest in selling more tyres of course

If there is a choice of which experts to take advice from surely that would be BMW, if I'm not mistaken their cars are developed and setup to run on RFT's, as soon as you step away from those you completely compromise the manufacturers design.

This issue is not the same as cross-ply/radial from the 70's and 80's
The advice is not to mix tyre types, not to buy "more" of anything, don't see the problem with that advice at all.

Now as for BMW and RFTs, we know they are desperate to have RFTs that perform like non RFTs, the official Bridgestone/BMW 'G3' launch proved that very clearly. And now that some models have a tyre option, shows they never got it correct from day one. Also we know some markets wouldn't endorse the RFT, so didn't have them.

I've been driving BMW since the 1970's, and know all too well that BMW compromised the chassis when RFTs were fitted, it wasn't a proven technology, still isn't truely sorted, as the concept is flawed when we know how suspension/tyre systems work best. M-division and Alpina have given their response by not using them, while being developed into the market place.

My view is, BMW is not "designed for run-flats" but "compromised for run-flats". I'll debate that with anyone. I have done so with both BMW and Bridgestone senior technical engineers. Had a senior Bridgestone engineer come and ride in my car, to show the defficiences on highland roads first hand.

But they can't back down, but do know the cars can be better handling, and ride better on conventional tyres.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0