02-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephbet01 View Post
Changed the fluid today at 70k miles but didn't drop the pan. It was a painless process and took about an hour. For the GM trans I used Castrol Dexron VI

I have the GM trans, but the DIY for the ZF will give you a good idea of what to expect. I didn't feel it was worth dicking around with the pan at 70k all highway miles.

Jacked the car up and set on 4 jackstands. Used the differential and the front center jack points to get it in the air.
Opened the plastic undershield.
Opened the fill plug first. Dropped about a quart.
Opened the drain plug. Dropped about 3 quarts.
Replaced drain plug. Filled about 2 quarts.
Replaced fill plug.
Started car and shifted slowly from P>R>P>D>P
Left it to idle in P for about 8 minutes.
With car still running, opened fill plug and it took 2.5 more quarts before coming out the fill hole.
Replaced fill plug.
Replaced the plastic undershield.

It's odd that it seems to have taken at least a 1/2 quart more than came out. Anyone have a good reason for that?
How did the oil look? Smell? Does it shift smoother?
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0