04-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by poluts View Post
what is the purpose of an 'interim change'? I'm at 11k miles and when I called the dealership they said to follow what the car says. Would it really be safe to wait until I reach 17k miles before changing the oil!?? You mentioned the cost, would this 'interim' oil change not be covered my the 4yr maintenance? thanks!!
The interim change is not covered under 50k/4yr maintenance. Those who prefer shorter oil change interval are willing to pay the small fee for added engine insurance. There have been numerous threads on this subject, so you may wish to search.

Some of us older drivers remember when one changed oil and greased the 20+ chassis fittings every 1,000 miles. Naturally, technology (especially synthetic oil) has improved, but a few folks sill believe in 5k or even 3k changes for modern BMWs. So the middle ground of changes at least every 7,500~9,000 seems to make sense to me.

Also, if you do not accumulate the requisite mileage in one year, BMW will change the oil for free under covered maintenance.

Tom
Appreciate 0