View Single Post
      12-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #84
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

I didnt realize you are talking about the Bavaraian Technic tool, I thought you were talking about burgers tool my bad. The registration in that seems ok but there are more options in ISTA.

The Service Manager probably doesnt know about the BT tool that is why he said you can only do it in ISTA.

And there are different options when registering a battery. Im fully aware of how it works. When using ISTA and you register a battery its asks either if you are replacing the battery with the same type and capacity, asks if you are retrofitting an AGM, or if you want to change to a different capacity. It will also show how many times the battery was replaced, and at what kilometer reading it was replaced at. This is good for diagnosis in battery/charging issues.

So to answer your question. Yes there is an option to select non AGM or AGM when registering a Batt in ISTA, as far as doing it in the BT tool, Im not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I know how to get to the registration command.....and that's not the right command. There is an adaptation and a registration. I beleive both need to be reset.

The registration command is 3 up from the bottom. Battery adaptation is about in the middle.
[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/BTToolBatteryRegistration.png[/IMG]

I was asking if there are any parameters to set: AGM vs non-AGM. Different capacities and more importantly, charging programs, as each battery has a different program, especially the AGM vs non-AGM types.

Anyway so I just got back from picking up my car from the dealer. I had to get my engine head replaced as well as the sensor mat in the passenger seat.

I asked my SA if she was familiar with battery registration. She said yes so I asked her what exactly is done. I told her I was aware of the 2 types of batteries in our cars: AGM and non-AGM. And that I also knew there were a few different capacities for each type.

You can find all the manufacturers, specs, and types for my, MY'06 330xi here.

Scroll to the bottom:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...99&hg=61&fg=30

Anyway once I asked for specifics, she didn't know and I was expecting that since most SAs do not work on the cars themselves. Then she brought over the service manager who was a COMPLETE DICK to me.

I asked him if any parameters are set. He responded with something like this: You CAN'T register the battery yourself. There is NO tool for this. It can ONLY be done with ISTA or whatever the protocol is, here at the dealer. And I asked again in different way: So once you reset it, that's that? There's nothing you have to select or input?

Response: No only BMW sets those specs.

No shit asshole. That's why I'm asking you what they are.....

At that point, I gave my SA a look and she rolled her eyes. I thanked my SA and specifically told the service manager I was not thanking him and that he was of no help.

As I was leaving I was thinking about telling him that HE was the reason why I hate going to dealerships.....I should have.

So I would tell you guys further on what happens when I do the registration, but I am away for a week and my car will be sitting. I don't want to install the new battery for obvious reasons but once I am back I can make a thread showing the process and if any parameters need to be set.
Appreciate 0