View Single Post
      05-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
kriscO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328 XI

Unhappy Could this be my AWD system acting up?

I tried to search but this question is really specific so I couldn't really find anything on it. First some background on the car:

Car: 2008 328xi

Wheel/Tire size:

Front
245/35/19
19x8.5
5x120
+35 offset

Rear
265/30/19
19x10
5x120
+38 offset

Suspension: H&R Coilovers (note: the rubbing noise occurred BEFORE lowering the car. the car is now lowered and the noise is still the same)

Symptoms: After putting in the new 19" wheels, i noticed a LOUD noise at low speeds (closes description would be a rubbing sort ofnoise) - from a stop or when slowing down. Mainly first/second gear under 2500rpm. While the the noise occurs, it feels like the car maybe lightly braking like it has a restricted sort of feel. Once it hits about 2100 rpm it jerks a little then the noise goes away and the restricted feeling goes away as well. With stock wheels it never made this noise or jerked.

Also, the low tire pressure warning light is on. The front wheels are brand new and the rears look fully inflated.

Possibilities: Could it be the AWD system kicking it thinking the speeds of the front and rear are different because of the tire sizes? Or could it simply be rubbing? Just by eye, I don't see anywhere where rubbing may occur...and this restriction/jerking happens on flat surfaces not bumps.

What I tried to do: My friend who owns a shop said the noise was due to cupping issues. I changed the front tires to brand new ones and the noise cut down by some, but still existed. He said the rest of the noise is coming from the rear tires. It's hard to narrow down where the noise is coming from, still sounds like its coming from the front and back...but after changing the front tires the noise wasn't AS loud as before.

I attached a picture so you can see how the car sits with the suspension.

Help would be very much appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by kriscO; 05-11-2010 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0