11-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #58
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '07 320i (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I believe the issue is that with ICOM Emulator, it cannot Program any ECU's on the MOST Bus.
Yes, that is unfortunate. But it is possible to enable 'Expert Mode'(not the XP feature) in ISTA-P, by replacing a certain XML file(or entries therein)* allowing for disabling programming of individual modules - such as those that are on the MOST Bus, essentially allowing for individual module programming.
*apps > ista-p > BMW > Client > layout > maskcontent > NewSessionServerMode.xml

I have not yet tried flashing modules personally, for my car is not in need of flashing, although the I-Level is equivalent to daten version 46.X(March 2012), becuase I have not been able to get solid confirmation from experience whether this alternate method involving multiple 'work-arounds'* can be pulled off(also because my understanding is that it's a good idea to have all ECUs at the same I-Level). But I'd like to have a better understanding.
*Multiple 'work arounds':
1. Using ICOM Emulator + D-CAN cable(One Stop Electronics)
2. ISTA-P with 'Expert Mode' enabled via modified 'NewSessionServerMode.xml'

So far there has been only one confirmation that it is 'possible', but that confirmation was followed with a negative suggestion for 'good luck'(suggesting that an unspecific 'something' may go wrong while flashing). I'm trying to get some objective technical confirmation of whether it can be done reliably or not.

I've been able to access information from all ECUs, other than those on the MOST bus(RAD2 in my case), using the D-CAN + ICOM Emulator with ISTA-P, just haven't gone ahead with any flashing yet, so I know communication is possible.

Last edited by tinkerman; 11-19-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 1