View Single Post
      06-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Initiating any new car purchase over the phone is really setting yourself up for failure. Do you have any idea how many calls per day a new car Merc/BMW/Lexus/Audi dealer gets in a day asking about numbers for this lease or that cash deal, availability of some strange color or option combination or how long it takes to order a car? This idea of saving so much time and energy shopping for a car by just whipping out your cell phone is not original. Millions of people have thought of it already and unless you have an established relationship with a sales professional, you're going to get the cold shoulder 99% of the time. 20 people on the phone asking questions isn't worth one on the lot with a trade and a checkbook. Don't take it personally, it's just business.
Good point. But most leases when advertised do put miles allowed, MSRP, amount capitalized, and thus you also know the car and package.

In respect to their time I state this is a fact finding call and what I wish to understand about the ad. Im calling about the ad, not shopping for a car at that moment.

I usually give these folk every benefit of the doubt.

The manager did call me back eventually and was very good. I explained my situation and was being far from the typical "dick" that Im sure they have to deal with. I was not negotiating but before I spend any time in a dealership I would want an appointment and a car to test drive that represents the offer they have.

They do not have such a car. They have a few"F-sport" IS250's in auto that they could likely do "for under $400 per month". This dealership does not post its inventory on line. I explained I would only be interested in a manual transmission to which he said they have not seen one in two years! "Why do you still drive a manual? Less than 1% of cars made are this way?" I explained it was more like 5% but that is still a vast minority I agree. I have 4 cars (got two kids driving) and three are Manual. He then replied "F-sport has transmission shifting paddles like a race car!" Only then was I about to go into full BMW/MT snob mode but I refrained. I just said "it must be the shift of power I get from the clutch going from one leg into the other.......but its my preference and has been for years. I got the colors he had on the lot and said I would call today.

Financially it might make sense for me but I don't think I'd be happy with a auto on a IS250. The 0-60 is almost 2 seconds slower than my "underpowered" 328i. Im sure the next variant they will have the 4banger turbo and it should most certainly keep up.

Might sound crazy, but my chestnut brown leather with poplar wood in a space gray is like old school now (no NAV screen) and I just like it this way. The IS250 is a nice enough looking car. The real key here is keeping the car long term and I am inclined to do so.

Last edited by Nalod; 06-29-2012 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0