View Single Post
      04-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

A word about Turner Motorsports

So just a few weeks ago I got a pair of new OEM struts, a couple thrust-arm bushings changed out and lowered my ride with H&R Sport Springs. Nothing major in any sense of the word, especially compared to many of the guys here on these boards, so why even post a thread then? Well, I'll tell you. THE SERVICE. These days, and I know many of you will agree, service ain't like it used to be. "IT SUCKS!", sums it up best and I'm talking in general terms, not just things BMW. But, when it came to Turner in Amesbury and their Service Mgr. Marco Schaffer and his crew, I was thoroughly impressed.

When I'd initially gone to see them, Marco and I volleyed e-mails for at least a week, but he always answered and was quite happy to do so. I kind of figured I was pushing his limits of patience, because I can be pretty anal, but like I said, he kept on firing back. After that, I took a drive there to set up an appointment even though I could've done it over the phone. Well, I finally met Marco and drilled him again about what the best route was for me in regard to dropping my car. I already had Bilstein's for the front and rear as well as Eibach Sportlines, but decided to hang those up after talking to him for about 20 minutes. It's kind of hard to challenge a guy that helps build race cars and lives, breathes and shits BMW. So, I took my Bilsteins back to Bavarian and sold my Sportlines and gave Turner the dough instead.

They took my car in at 10am the following week and got it back to me that same day at 4 and man, what a change! From factory ride height of a 3-4 finger spread to maybe 1? I love it. Anyways I took it home, but for the next like 5-6 days before I went on vacation, I knew something was wrong. It felt way too "squishy". I'd hit the most slightest of dips and I'd either get a scrape or "bang!" off the front end. Goes without saying that while I was away on vaca, I thought about that crap, so I shot Marco an email to set things up for him and his guys to look at it soon as I got back. Well, a couple days after I'd gotten home I was back at Turner and he set one of his guys to the task of evaluating the problem, so we went for a spin. "No doubt, we need to take a look at that", was the response I got from the tech.

Well they got it on a lift and checked things out, came up with a solution and squared it away. Turns out it was my error, not theirs. Had I purchased a 225/35 19 instead of a 235/35, the travel on the shock wouldn't have been an issue. I was hitting the topside of the liner, so they modified a pair of bump stops to minimize said shock travel and "Voila'!" done. Because this took over an hour and because it was no fault of their own, I figured I'd be dropping some coin, but they didn't ask for a red cent. They just wanted me to have a nice ride of which I'm happy to report feels damn close to factory again. Marco and his crew take pride in their work and like all bad asses are quite modest about their skills. Their service is top shelf and their pricing beat out another indie bimmer shop I go to, not to mention the stealerships. Yep, soon as I get the bodywork done on my car, I'll definitely be back in to see Turner for that remap I've been "jonesing" for.

If anyone lives in the area, but haven't yet selected who's paws will touch your baby, give Marco and his gang a holler. You won't be disappointed!