View Single Post
      03-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #805
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

I just had a 3.0 manifold fall into my lap and I'm having it installed along with a Eurobox on Friday.

I have been reading and reading about "post-op" flashes/coding/tunes being "required" to make this manifold work properly/maximally in the 328i and there is some conflicting info out there.

My mechanic, who is a master tech BMW mechanic, says that the computer in the 328i should pick up the electronics of the manifold and adapt on its own, without flashes or tunes. In other words, the software is there. I have read posts by others on the forum who were told the same thing by their mechanic when they were contemplating this conversion, but...I have yet to find ONE of these people who did it and followed up with a forum post.

So...what is the definitive answer here? Is there one? Seems like there should be. Does the 328i require a reflash or an aftermarket tune to have this manifold operate properly or optimally? OR...does the tune most people get after doing the conversion simply have its own benefits?

Thanks!

Update: This was posted elsewhere today concerning this topic -

"There is no real conflicting info - your mechanic is right in that the manifold will "work" but he's also wrong because it won't work correctly. You need a flash. As I said before, the cars that come with a single stage manifold aren't programmed to open the 3rd stage of the DISA valves. Also, the stock 328/325 tune limits the maximum valve lift, uses a more conservative VANOS map, and runs significantly leaner at full throttle."

My response -
Thanks for elaborating. So...what are the choices to make it work properly: AA tune, Turner Motorsports tune, and...what else??
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 03-25-2015 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0