View Single Post
      12-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #17
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Just use a credit card and it'll be refundable wherever you go. Credit cards, by both merchant and customer agreement, can only be used for a "completed transaction." If the dealer gives you any problems with a refund, call your credit card company and let them deal with it. If you have an AMEX, use that. They are by far the easiest company to get to go to bat for you. I don't condone this by a long shot, but I know a guy who has contested legitimate charges (which were documented and signed by him) that AMEX wiped off. If you have a remotely decent case, it will be off your bill before you finish asking for it. I worked in the dealership world washing cars when I was in High School, and have a friend who almost had to burn down a Cadillac shop to get his deposit back, so I would never put down a deposit with anything but a credit card. To the OP, $2,500 does sound steep even for a well optioned car. Unless you're getting it in a paint-to-match color that happens to be mint green, they can sell the car regardless of options. (An XI might be a tough sell in Miami or LA, but you probably wouldn't order one in that region anyway.)
Appreciate 0