Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
I guess iDrive is not designed for going over water. Yesterday I was in Balboa and took the ferry across. As I was waiting in line I noticed that the iDrive map does in fact have a little blue line that goes right across where the ferry goes so I thought this should be interesting to see my car show up in the water. No such luck. iDrive showed my car at the bank changing direction but not moving the entire trip over. The little arrow didn't know what was going on. It moved with the boat but would not show me in/on the water. Then when I drove off the ferry it suddenly showed me on the other side. Interesting... I was hoping to see my car in the water though.
You must have been parked somewhere with a roof over your car. If the car can't see the satellites, it relies on dead reckoning and the electronic compass. It thought you were standing still (but the electronic compass noticed you were magically changing the direction you were facing, hence the arrow turning). Once it saw the sats, it knew where you were again.