11-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #43
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I think tire rack does not recommend anti seize on the lugs. They say extreme caution must be used if that's done. It's just a wheel going on a car, why do something that turns it into brain surgery?

I don't see what the purpose would be, it's flirting with danger and definitely affecting the torqued value. Yes, even a good torque wrench can be +/- 3 lbs. at 85 lbs. ft., so why throw it off another 3-4? Now you could be at 79.

The anti seize is so the BMW rim doesn't get stuck to the hub, which it will without. The nuts come off like butter when dry. Again, just imho never, ever, ever, use anti seize on the lugs or on other cars, the nuts. It's playing around introducing risk, with no reward....
Did you actually read my first post. I clearly said " If the manufacturer says not to use never seize the DON't use it.period". and here is what tire rack says

Proper installation requires that the wheel lug torque be set to the recommended specification for your vehicle. These torque specifications can be found in your vehicle's owner's manual, shop repair manual or obtained from your vehicle dealer.

Then I went on to say that if you are using never seize, use it very sparring( when I do use it , I put it on and then wipe it with a rag. You'd have to squeeze your fingers against the stud deep into the threads to get any on your hands.) so that it doesn't get all over the place or interfere with the stretching of the treads. And here is the 2nd paragraph from tirerack

Wheel lug torque specifications are for clean threads that are free of dirt, grit, etc. If applying an anti-seize lubricant, it is important to note it can be applied only on the threads of nuts or bolts. The lubricant must not be used on either seat of the hardware of the wheel. With the seat being the main point of friction where torque is measured, extreme caution must be used if an anti-seize lubricant is applied to the threads as excess can either drip or be pushed onto the lug seat resulting in inaccurate torque values.

Nowhere in that paragraph does it say NOT to use never seize. It says nothing about never seize not being used on threads . They point out that never seize should never dripped or be pushed onto the lug seat because it would give an inaccurate torque value. Which is what I had said.

Yes extreme caution does need to be used as they stated, because they are talking about the improper use of never seize....so they are talking about using it.
As I stated before , my family has owned and operated a heavy equipment business for the last 30+ yrs. I've worked on the huge stuff right down to the small stuff, but I'm always the one that does the brake work on our light duty fleet truck ,right up to our heavy duty service duallies . I do every bit of work I can on all of my personal cars,,brakes included. I only stated that in all my years I have NEVER had a failure or have a lug back off. (Hell we even ran 2 open wheeled supermodifidies that do upwards of a 150 mph on a 5/8th oval and they get never seize on the lugs too). I'm not turning any of this into brain surgery...If the manufacturer says don't use it I don't , but there are lots of times this isn't addressed. I'm going off years of experience and so far it hasn't ever failed me
Appreciate 0