View Single Post
      01-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
bv1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
The new ZF modules are redesigned with "Sonnax-like" mods already. They've used all the knowledge gained from the field to redesign their latest VBs (at least that's what I heard from ZF). If Sonnax actually rebuilt these things, I'd trust them over a brand new VB, but they only make the kits and tooling and I've seen some pretty crappy rebuilds that claim to have been done with Sonnax parts.

FWIW, my new VB shifts better than I ever remember this thing working since I got it (I got it used with 50K miles on it).

I hadn't even considered a manual swap. In retrospect that would have been the way to go. What does "FML" mean? Is that $3K for the swap? I've got $3.5K in this rebuild.
Good to know Sonnax has good rep, I wondered about this. It seems they're slowly offering more parts for the gen2. I've been researching a somewhat cost efficient upgrade for a while now. I still haven't seen any reputable builder that offers upgraded clutch packs though. I know Borg warner makes the oem stuff for ZF but don't believe they make any upgraded components.