03-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #57
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cpephan View Post
As someone in the market for a used E92, I've looked at a number of Carfax reports for CPO cars. The vast majority show oil change intervals between 14-19,000 miles with time periods as long as 22 months (low mileage cars). But, the way I read it, there appears to be a conflict regarding oil change intervals in the BMW Service and Warranty Book.

From 2010 BMW Service and Warranty Booklet:

p.2, "Time intervals should be followed using the maintenance interval as indicated by the BMW Service Interval Display" (instrument cluster).

p.8 under Special Note, "The maintenance requirements for your vehicle are determined dynamically by the Condition Based Service (CBS) system". .... then goes on to state under Oil Service "Note: Change oil at least once a year." The Note text is in bold type, no mileage equivalent is listed.

Anyone know why the once a year statement seems generally not to be followed?
You have accurately pointed out the disparity between the published BMWNA recommended one year vs. the dash computer two year interval for low mileage changes.

I recall reading a few years back that the time interval for European cars is, in fact, two years. But it was reduced to one year in the US due to our poorer quality gasoline. However, the car's computer is still programmed for two years in the US as (at least on my 07 328i & 08 128i) the date advances by two years when reset after an oil service.

This has caused a great deal of confusion as some dealers would look at the CBS date and be reluctant to do the yearly "free" change during the warranty period. And a couple of years back, BMWNA actually tried to change the covered oil services to once every two years. This only lasted a few weeks after it was repeatedly pointed out that their Service/Warranty manuals called for a yearly change.

So while my dealer has always honored the yearly low mileage change, apparently not all have done so in the US. But since BMW reimburses dealers for the yearly change, there is no reason not to cover this service.

Tom
Appreciate 0