View Single Post
      08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Thumbs up Check Out CurbAlert Pro Mini to Protect Your $$ Front End Parts!

I recently watched an episode of Motorweek where Pat Gauss did a review of a New product called CurbAlert.

Link to show (scroll to 13:08 on timeline for CurbAlert portion):

http://video.pbs.org/video/2235141188/

This is a sensor system that mounts unobtrusively under your bumper @ front of car, senses when you are close to a low obstruction (such as curb or high speed bump), then alerts you with a tone.

This is particularly useful to protect front spoilers/splitters (especially on lowered cars) from damage when hitting curbs.

Since I just purchased a new OEM Aero Lip + CF Splitter for underneath, I decided to look into the product to protect all those expensive front end parts from my making a stupid mistake

Originally I checked out the product on the CurbAlert site, then when I did a google of 'BMW CurbAlert' - I found a link to a company that sells the system custom wired for BMW with the piggyback fuse holder tap already installed (see pics below) - price was lower than other sites even with the added custom wiring (unit is currently on sale for $159.99).

Company is SouthernCarParts http://www.southerncarparts.com/curb-alert-p-3474.html out of Georgia.

Their site has excellent description + a couple very good videos that detail the install & calibration specifically on a BMW 3 series
  • Purchased the CurbAlert Pro Mini (see pics), shipping was immediate and it arrived quickly. Sensor unit is very small and not noticeable when installed as I did (center of car, front, under bumper lip above center grill). Install was not difficult at all - hardest part was using a coat hanger to pull the sensor wires thru the engine bay and into the interior.
  • I mounted the Control Unit behind the glovebox in fuse area, used Slot #7 (Hot on Ignition ON only) to insert the piggyback fuse holder tap & the Ground went under the large screw in fusebox area.
  • Warning Alarm Unit was mounted under dash, PS, up close to console, on the removeable panel that attaches under dash. Alarm Unit has a High/Low/Off setting.
  • Once it came time to calibrate the unit, I found the calibration instructions that came with the unit from Mfg. to be sorta vague. I was having trouble getting unit to calibrate at the 4" height at the ditance I chose.
  • Contacted SouthernCarParts by email - had a reply from Jim Vose within a short time with link to his most excellent calibration video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJxg0...ature=youtu.be

After viewing the video, I found the calibration to be foolproof as he states, & sucessfully calibrated my unit for a Distance of 20" to detect a Curb Height of Min 4"
  • While driving 2 days now, I have had absolutely zero false alerts, and the unit warned me faithfully of curbs once I was within the 20" distance with a 'triple beep'

Anyone that wants to make sure that there is no damage to expensive front end spoilers should check this out - in fact, I'm prolly going to order another for my T/A...

Now on to the pics:

** Note Small Size of components - especially Sensor:

BMW Specific Piggyback Fuse Holder Tap Pre-Installed:

Sensor Installed - Only Way to See this is to Lay on Ground in Front of Car:

F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 08-21-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0