View Single Post
      08-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #86
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

So, I'm back from vacation. Did a little playing around tonight. Unfortunately one of the pieces I ordered (the OEM breather tube) didn't show up. The email I read yesterday from mid-week from Turner said they couldn't get it ... that was too bad.

The space is tight in the area close to the breather tube and intake connection. Here's what I did as an experiment to see what kind of space could be created.

Removed stock intake air box. That freed up a lot of space. Much more than one full sized bottle of Jack.

Then put in an AEM dry element cone filter (I don't like oiled filters). Leaves enough space for the provent. Weighed the stock vs the AEM/provent combo and the stock system is more than 1 lb heavier. So at least this won't add weight.

I was concerned about increased intake air temps so I did some BT data logging tonight over the same interstate loop I had previously done a few weeks ago. Tonight was 77F (~25C) and previous data was 73F (~23C). At speed there was no measurable difference above the ambient temperature differences. And this is without a heat shield, just the cone filter.

Also did a couple full throttle pulls in 3rd gear and the Torque App HP/TQ numbers are right in line with stock intake numbers, so no statistically significant differences observed.

So, it appears this might be a viable avenue to pursue in terms of having space to install a way to prevent the oil getting back into the intercooler/intake without increasing emissions of the vehicle. At least for those interested in installing some such device. Which is the reason for the thread ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0