10-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #2323
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a man late for work

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.76]
Read this on the other forum and with the events this week here, it kind of put things in perspective for me and reminded me why we do the things we do...

"You have a GT-R not a G37 or a Z
You have a ZR-1 not a Z06
You have a GT500 not a GT
I'll bet your R8 spyder was the 10 cylinder not the 8 cylinder.

My point is that you could take the cheaper version of these cars and add a few baubles and widgets and produce similar times (OK, maybe not in the GT-R's case), but you didn't. Why? I'll guess its' because you didn't want the cheaper version. I am of the opinion that cost benefit analysis for cars is kind of pointless. All of these cars are extravagances.

I learned this lesson when I was 14. A friend down the street had a top of the line Redline bmx freestyle bike (does this company still exist), I couldn't quite afford it, so over a few months, I basically parted out the same bike. We had endless arguments about how mine was really superior because my rotor had more bearings for less money, and I had the better hand grips, and how my axle pegs were longer. But the truth was if I'd had the dough I would have bought the super trickster (or whatever it was called) and modded that."

The point is there is no logic for this. We do what we do because we have the desire and the means. If we are lacking in either, then we should drive Camrys like all the other sheeple.