12-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #44
temporarychicken
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330ci E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpax56 View Post
+1 Same with me
I have found a fix for this issue (on my car at least).

Here's what I did.

1. Pull all 6 plugs and 6 coils, eyeballed and decided all good. Two plugs had grown in gap from 1mm (40 thou) to about 1.2mm. I regapped them and put it all back together.
2. Started engine, revved it, problem still there, with stuttering going from idle to WOT, instead of clean instant rev up.
3. Disconnected MAF sensor whilst engine running. Revved it, problem still there.
4. With MAF still disconnected, switched off, then restarted. Revved it, sweet! problem gone.
5. Drove around the block with MAF still disconnected. After about 1 minute the yellow engine light came on on the dash. I think I forced the DME (eninge management) into open -loop mode (stored maps versus airflow correction feedback) Engine running sweet though!
6. Switched off, cleaned the MAF with carb cleaner spray, refitted and plugged back in.
7. Switched car on, now with MAF back in, still running great, but yellow engine light on
8. Drove the car for about 3-4 journeys over 2 days, running superbly throughout.
9. Suddenly during a drive on day 3, yellow engine light goes off!
10. No further problems with 4 more journeys from there on (touch wood).

I'm not sure if it was even the MAF that was the problem to be honest, I think that disconnecting itforced the car to go into open-loop mode and use stored maps, rather than using dynamic feedback, and learnt adaptation values. I think also this action may have forced learnt adaptation values to be wiped clean, but I'm guessing here as I don't have a BT tool.

However - the process seems to have worked a treat. Probably just a glitch in the DME learnt values that I have cleared via brute force and ignorance.

I looked in the cars history (just got the car) and 15k miles ago the previous owner had taken in into the main dealer and complained of "cutting out". They'd done a fault code scan and couldn't fault the car.... I imagine this fault has been around a while.

In an case, I recommend following steps 2 to 7, and forcing the car into open loop mode with the yellow engine light on. That way, if your issue is the same as mine (or similar) you might trick the DME into restting whatever learnt adaptation values are causing the rough running.
Appreciate 0