View Single Post
      11-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GTI, E86 Z4 3.0si Racecar

I have a set of Sparco Milano adjustable seats with Macht Schnell mounts in my car. They are not electric (I'm not sure how many aftermarket seats have electric controls), but they do fold forward and have lumbar support so they're not racing shells. BMW Performance Seats are not legal in the US and they're going to cost about $5500 for two of them on eBay or some other importer. They are essentially Recaro CS, which you can get for about half the price.
TBH: At the time when I was tracking my car, I did the vast majority of driving on the street (95% of the time) and I was doing about 15-20 track days per season and was more interested in comfort. Do these seats hold me in place MUCH better than the stock seats - yes. Do they hold me as well as racing shells - no. Can I feel what the car's doing much better due to a stiffer frame - yes.
In the end, I made the right decision. The seats only saved 9lbs. each vs. my BMW Sport Seats! I could have saved a ton if I would have gone with racing shells (20-25lbs per seat - you have to remember, the added weight of the mounts and sliders is a significant amount. I love the seats and would do the modification again.
You may also have to do some fabrication and you'll want to get rid of the airbag light (at the time I was able to buy a plug-and-play to get rid of the passenger side airbag light).
Just make sure whoever is doing the installation that they take the care to ensure everything is done correctly and safely. Remember, if you are in an accident, the seatbelts need to work just as they were designed to or you could be seriously hurt.
Check out some old pics of my car here on post #529. I didn't have my roof and electric steering wheel yet, but the seats were installed and that's all you're really interested in anyway.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...sparco&page=14
2015 GTI S, 6M, LP, Volk TE37SL 17x8.5, Michelin PSS 245/40, HPA SHS Coil-Overs, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE, Eurocode F/R Sway Bars, SuperPro Control Arms, Remus Catback, APR Stage 1 Tune, APR CAI, Aero Force Gauge Pod, APR Boost Gauge, Kersher Front Lip, Short Shifter, Tyrolsport Deadset, Stoptech BBK, HPA Dogbone
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe - because racecar