View Single Post
      05-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

Depends what system you have really.

BMW don't sell a "loud" system, so I'm not sure what system you have in your car, but there a few different ones.

Base system - no amps, no tweeters, 6.5" bass drivers under front seats
Hi-fi system - amp in the boot, tweeters, 8" subwoofers
Logic 7- front centre speaker, better drive units, extra tweeters in rear and a more powerful amp.

Within the base two systems there's slight differences in power output, with the pro navigation system having a more powerful amp module than the hifi system with a standard head unit.

I have the hifi system, with pro navigation, and I really quite like it. Mids are clean and clear, top end is crisp enough and it has more than enough thump to make the bass lines in most music push through nicely. It's not a massively delicate sounding system but its fine for a car. Importantly it has decent bass and goes more than loud enough.

Does your car have the tweeters in the front doors (next to mirrors)? If not you have a base system, and it does sound pretty poor. If you do have tweeters, then maybe you have an issue with the kit, because mine is much more than acceptable and I'm very fussy about these things, as I've been into ultra high end home hifi for about 15 years.
Appreciate 0