View Single Post
      03-20-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
sknsean
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330d 2013

Front suspension clonk E91

Hi all

Sorry for starting another clonk thread.

I have a problem with my BMW e91 320d 177 hk from 2008, it all started when i lowered the car with a Eibach Pro-kit set, i also changed the original shock absorbers (The car have done ~125000miles) with Bilstein B4's(m-tech model). I also changed the top strut mounts with the ones from Sachs and the stabiliser bushings(FEBI).

The problem is the car makes a single klonk from the front right side, when the weight shifts from side to side when entering a roundabout at speed.
I can also produce the klonk when turning hard left, if I turn left again right after that the car is silent. But if I turn hard right and left again the klonk is back.
The sound is also present when running over deep pot holes at slow speed, I can't feel it in the steering wheel.

At first i retorqued everything to spec, the klonk was still present.
Then i contacted my mech friend we reinstalled the front right corner, sound still there and we tried the old strut mount, not any better.
Got the car allignled
I bought a new shock for the right side, added that together with the new strut mount.
Bought new stabiliser end links
Maybe the wishbone and the tension strut bushings that have worn out, so i bought the M3 wishbone and tension strut and got the car alligned.
I removed the front stabiliser and took the car for a spin, noise still present.
Yesterday i tried the old shock, noise still there.

I think I'm running out of options and my mech friend does not have any more ideas. The whole front end suspension on the car is new, and the sound of the klonk have not changed.

Could the strut brace make that noise?(It's torqued to BMW spec, tower 40nm + 60 deg and center 100nm + 100 deg)
Maybe a engine mount?
Wheel bearing?
Brakes? (Brakecaliper/Brakepads hitting the rotor?)

Please does anyone have any more ideas what to try?
Appreciate 0