View Single Post
      08-24-2017, 05:13 AM   #1
ShoCk_
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d SE

My E90 is Knocking / Clunking when turning left and right slowly

Some brief history ...

Had my E90 330d (55 plate so very old now) put on some cheap JOM coilovers after a coil spring collapsed and went through a tyre.

Took it to my nearest garage who I have been using for well over 10 years. I was a bit concerned, all the adult staff have moved on the owner has replaced all staff with college kids including his 23 year old son who is now the manager of the place. Anyway I trusted him. Big mistake.

First of all they scratched my wing while working on my car but they promised to have it resprayed by he bodyshop next door.

They put new coilovers (shocks/springs) and 4 new tyres (marked my freshly refurbed alloys whilst installed two of the tyres around the edges).

Car was an absolute mess ... very twitchy and all over the place. I thought it was the cheap coilovers so within 48 hours...

Took it for tracking at a proper tracking garage that only do tyres and tracking they took £50 and tracked it. It felt a little better but I still wasn't happy ... car felt worse than when I had my SE OEM set up before my coil spring gave way, I have no confidence planting my foot down anymore with my new suspension.

Then I also discovered that my car makes a clunking/knocking sound when I slowly turn left or right when parking the car or reversing off my driveway.

So I went to ANOTHER garage. Before he did anything he showed me that all four thrust/drive arms had the rubber joints burnt so they were completely exposed with all the grease leaked out as well as the drivers side ABS sensor wire burnt. He said somebody was using a blow torch to remove the bolts and damaged all that in the process and those arms are the culprit to why my car is driving so bad.

I quickly went on google / youtube that day did a bit of research and discovered he could be right ...

So I booked his services. He changed the ABS sensor and fitted four new arms and presented me with the old damaged parts.

Car runs beautiful now! very stable and not twitchy but that dreaded knocking sound is still there ...

What could it be ? I have spent £1450 in total on parts and labour. But I have a nasty knocking / clunk when turning left and right. Otherwise I am very happy with my new ride height and drive.

He is saying the knocking sound could be the coil spring or top mounts ...

Seems like I was well and truly shafted by the garage that I have trusted for over a decade. They did a botch job for the first time in 10 years and it's no surprise as he has inexperienced kids working there now. All the experienced, expensive staff have gone. Struggling business perhaps ?

He damaged the four thrust/drive arms, burnt my ABS sensor and scratched my drivers side wing (which they will be respraying and putting right).
Appreciate 0