01-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
Post DIY - rear brake pads + brake pad sensor

There is a tutorial for replacing the front brake pads on this forum thanks to Mr5, and although changing the rears are very similar I thought I would document my change as a few people have been asking for the rears.

Please note: I am not a professional mechanic and have posted this information for the sake of just that... information

Step 1: Jack your car up. If your car is lowered like mine you will have trouble getting the jack in the usual location, so I used the chassis where the rear wishbones connect. (I suspect they are not actually called rear wishbones so I'll let the pictures do the talking)

Step 2a: Remove the Brake Pad Sensor. It comes with a small clip that slides into the inner pad. The clip will probably not come out with the sensor and stay on the inner pad. Remember to remove it when you take off the pad.

Step 2b: Remove the front clip.

Step 3: Crack open the 2 bolts holding the calipers in place. I used a 5/8 socket.

PLEASE NOTE - The following pictures are now from the other side of the car (left side)

Step 4: With the 2 bolts removed, the caliper will slide out. It may be held in place from slight piston pressure. A bit of strength won't hurt here. Put a fuel can or a paint can under the hub so you can rest the caliper. DON'T LET IT HANG ON THE BRAKE LINE!!

Step 5: Remove the pads. They will slide out. The outside one isn't held by any clips.

The inside pad may resist as it has the clips inside the piston.

Step 6: Pull the caliper bracket out, and clean. Ensure the sliders are clean of rust and free to slide in an out. Some Water Displacement (WD40 or similar) spray works a treat.

... and clean

Step 7: Push the piston back. Your new pads have double the meat as your old ones so you'll need space. I picked this Brake Caliper Tool from my local Auto Store (Repco or Supercheap Auto) for $13. You can also use a G-Clamp.
I used the old pad to spread the pressure over the piston.

New clearance...

Step 8: Insert new pads.
Ensure your new pads are the same as your old ones. ie. size and clips etc.
I put Anti-Squeal on my pads cause lets face it... these mofo's squeal!!!

Do this - put paste on metal bits of back side of new pads. Also note the paste on the side where the metals will be touching.

DON'T DO THIS - the pads without the clips will be facing outwards and can be seen. Luckily I had a high-pressure water cleaner and was able to clean off the anti-squeal paste.
The picture below shows the old pads on the left, and then new pads on the right.

Inside Pad

Outer Pad

Step 9: Attach Caliper back onto hub. Just slide it on while ensuring your pads are put in straight, and there is enough clearance for the rotor. Once in place, put the bolts back on.

This picture also shows the front clip re-attached.

Step 10: CHANGE the brake pad sensor!!! See notes and photos below.

This photo demonstrates how the sensor sits on the inner brake pad. Put the clip on the sensor and slide it back into place.

On my car, the brake pad sensor was on the right hand side.

Don't forget to pump your brakes before using, and bed them in properly etc etc. You know the deal.

Good Luck

and finally...

Go out and enjoy your Bimmer
Name:  Jan2011a.jpg
Views: 128834
Size:  298.5 KB

edit: pictures below for changing rear brake pad sensor

1. Remove wheel arch shrouding. Combination of 10mm plastic nuts and 8mm screws. You don't need to remove the whole thing, but I removed the whole thing for better viewing.

2. Locate Brake Pad Sensor - it's the white one. The picture below shows my holding up the new one next to it confirming size etc.

3. Replace old with new. I started from the connection, but you can start from the brake pad end. Un-clip the clips, replace old with new, and re-clip into position.

4. VOILA... Image shows new sensor clipped into brake pad. It took a bit of fiddling to get it clipped in properly but easy enough.

5. Replace shrouding, wheels, bolts etc.

6. Reset Brake warning light in the dash. There are a few good threads about this already on the forum eg. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=reset+brake. I haven't been able to get mine right despite trying everything under the sun, so I'm gonna make a trip to my indi BMW mechanic. FML

Last edited by V1_R; 07-04-2011 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0