View Single Post
      09-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #1692
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Greg....as you may remember, I had opticoat applied professionally about two months ago...this was immediately prior to putting my car in long term outdoor storage, with the BMW Outdoor Car Cover
When I removed the cover, the result was this:

As you can see there is marring on the trunk lip from motion of the cover in the wind...

1) Would you expect that this is in the opticoat or has it rubbed into the clearcoat

2) is that repairable

I have again put the cover on the car, this time using painters tape on that lip. Incidentally I noticed that there is an even softer felt in the area of the sharkfin antenna due to the increased friction there, but nothing for the trunk lip.

Am I doing the best I can for long term storage ( I travel frequently due to my occupation)?

Finally:

With the opticoat being a 2 year application, what do you recommend for inbetween jobs? I like to have the car professionally detailed about 2x a year. Once in the spring, and once before the Syracuse snow& salt season.

Would you recommend one of the "normal" synthetic paint sealants on top of the opticoat or just a normal wax?
1. The Opti-Coat is similar to a clear coat and it can be scratched and it's hard to say how deep they are from that pic. It's hard to tell imperfections from the clouds being reflected above.

2. Again really tough to tell via pics. Lips, corners, edges, etc. are known to have less clear coat so it can probably be polished but it should be done carefully. If a pro has a paint thickness gage (ie DeFelsko PosiTector 200 B/Adv Coating Thickness Gage) that could be really helpful.

3. Car covers are a double edged sword with no right answer. They help protect against many forms of damage, sap, bird droppings, etc. but they are prone to marring the paint all over as the wind blows it. Your best bet is to look into some sort of garage or storage unit if you want a more safe option.

4. A traditional sealant (Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection) can be used to add protection and gloss. The fastest and easiest application in my opinion is the Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0