View Single Post
      08-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #44
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saph 335i coupe 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
There's only two cases where a stock M3 can give a tuned 335i all it can handle:

1. If the M3 is a DCT version and especially the lightest e92 M3
2. If the tune only 335i is a 6MT and on 91 Octane.

If those two facts exist, put your money on the stock M3

But if the tune only 335i is a 6AT and on 91 Octane put your money on it if the M3 is a 6MT, and it'll be REALLY close if the M3 is a DCT

Now if the tune only 335i is a 6AT and on 93 Octane, put your money on the tune only 335i over any stock M3, but it will be pretty close with an stock e92 M3 DCT however.

With an additional mod on top of the tune, or octane higher than 93 and it becomes an "easy" win for the 335i over the stock M3's.
+100. Very well said!

I do know that I pulled a guy in new e90 M3 pretty damn hard a few weeks ago, from about 40 to almost 120 when I shut it down to get off on my exit (I was about 1 - 1 1/2 cars in front, enough for me). He didn't seem happy at all , but I can tell you that he was in a heavier e90 (e92 for me), pretty sure he was DCT (I saw him shifting at the wheel) (I am 6mt), and pretty sure he was 100% stock, except for maybe an exhaust (kind of hard to tell when I was concentrating more on driving at that point, it was pretty loud and throaty though). Don't know what kind of driver he was either, but I can tell you that our (335) cars seem to love that near 40 roll mark in 2nd. I also run 93-94 octane and was running my higher user TQ and lower ign correction map (I also have the Stett CAI snd exhaust). I would run something a little beefier than 93, like everyone said add a little 100 octane for an added kick in the shorts and that extra oompf to get the W! If this is a "planned" run, I would make sure that he isn't out right now doing the same and adding pulleys, a tune, etc. as we speak to stack the odds?!? It is a totally different story from when I just had an impromtu run with M3 guy who is now wondering why and how he got smoked by a little 335i, although if he had some some mods it may have been a lot closer or even gone the other way...not in my favor!?

I am hopefully going to get my new IC, my tires and my Stett charge pipe with DV's installed this weekend, and then run stage2 That should keep the majority of new M3 boys in my rearview mirror, but damn that car (new DCT M3) is amazing, smooth and handles so much better (that is without spending $$$ to upgrade our suspensions).

Have fun, good luck and most of all be safe.

Cheers
Performance |PROcede V5|Stett CAI|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|AA Intercooler|RPI Scoops|Stett Charge Pipe w/Forge DV's|UUC Evo3 SSK/DSSR|Mod CDV Style |Aero Lip|Aero rear|Aero Spoiler|M-Tech Side Skirts|Black Calipers|Black Grille|Black Shadow emblem|Black Vinyl Wrapped Window Trim|35%Tint|Tinted Tails|Style 230 19"rims|Lux H8'sTech |Nav|Cold Weather|Premium|Comfort Access|Sport|
Appreciate 0