View Single Post
      07-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpj View Post
With respect, this is about identifying the driver (i.e. personal responsible) and nothing more. The whole point of this exercise is to find and identify the responsible party (driver) to move the lines of enquiry forward.

It's a two edged sword Policing, whereby instances like these get reported people's reactions are 'the police never do anything' - yet when we are being proactive, it elicits the above sentiments and comments.

As I've said already, I've used this process myself many times to deal with infringements that I couldn't deal with at the time. I don't see that as being lazy, but actually proactive in that I am able to deal with more than just one thing at the same time ;o)
Yes, but what is happening here is identifying the driver of a particular make/model/colour of car. Not identifying the person responsible for the incident. In this case, its just the OP's bad luck he happens to drive a similar vehicle, within a certain radius of an incident.

I guess the language used shouldn't be so strong so as not to offend innocent parties, but on the other hand, if you were the victim of a hit & run, and, for example, 2 or 3 vehicle matching the description of the offender were in the vicinity at the time, and the police had recorded these cars, you would want them to find the offender.

I suspect innocent parties, such as yourself, would do as you did, and attach a cover letter detailing your innocence, while providing the information you are legally obliged to give. A guilty party, on the other hand, may react differently.

Appreciate 0