View Single Post
      02-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #17
magamagapty
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 e60

I really appreciate you following up on this as this happened to me as I was about to convert my CIC to and android screen to get carplay and all the other good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellepepe View Post
Since the OP never shared the solution and this is the first (and seemingly only) post I could find with the exact issue we experienced with a car recently, I will share my experience and solution for those who run into this issue in the future.

It is a shame the OP never shared how he resolved the issue, from looking through his history I expect he either got the wrong JBE replacement module or somehow installed it incorrectly.
Below our experience with the same exact issue, and the solution:

This issue is caused by shorting the +12v and GND wires on the CID connector, due to some very strange decisions in the design process this connection is wholly unfused and leads directly into the board of the JBE (black module on the fusebox, also called JBBF).
Shorting these wires while the car is powered, even for a split second, has a very high chance of frying the JBBF.

Symptoms are mostly described in the original post.
The JBE acts as the gateway between the PT-CAN, K-CAN, F-CAN, and OBD port.
Additionally it controls or powers the following:
  • power windows
  • central locking actuators
  • wipers
  • headlight/windscreen washers
  • heated rear window
  • climate control panel + aircon + seat heating
  • cluster + fuel level sensor + coolant level + washer fluid level + parking
  • brake switch
  • dsc/locking button on the dash
  • electric rear sunblind
  • idrive cid + con (duh)

Some of these (such as the wipers and washers) will go into an 'oh shit' mode which results in them being on all the time, others will be fully disabled or constantly powercycle.

The main problem with diagnosing this issue is that there is usually no connection with the car possible at all, as the JBBF acts as the gateway between the obd port and the rest of the car.

Solution:
  1. Unplug the battery if you haven't already (running a broken JBE could break other modules in your car!)
  2. Remove the passenger footwell cover (2x T20)
  3. (If you have them) Remove the trim surrounding the cupholders and remove the cupholders (these hold in the glovebox) (4x T20)
  4. Remove the glovebox (6xT20)
  5. Remove the JBBF module, there are 2 connectors and 2 screws in the front, you can then gently pull it our partly and remove the remaining connector on the back of the module, take note of the 4th connector which slides into the fusebox
  6. Identify the JBBF module using below & source a replacement
  7. Install the new JBBF module using the previous steps in reverse
  8. Reconnect battery
  9. Verify connection with inpa/ista/ncs, default code the JBBF module to your VO & write your VIN with tool32
  10. Clear all error codes & check for any returning codes (some other module or unit may have been affected by the issue)

To find a JBBF module that matches your car, both in version and label:
There are 3 versions:
1. PL2 JBBF
2. PL2 JBBF II
3. PL2 JBBF IIIR
There are multiple labels, in order:
L1, L2, L3, H1, H2, H3, H4
And the additional 'master versions': (only available for JBBF 3)
M, or KL

Best option is to get the same as your car currently has, if you cannot find it, you should be able to get a higher label (but same version) as well:
e.g. you have a PL2 JBBF H1, a PL2 JBBF H4 should also work.
Take note that the position of the blue and black connectors must always match the original unit, this indicates the module is K-Line or D-Can, and switching units would require additional wiring.
Appreciate 1
Luper5258.50