View Single Post
      05-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #5182
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

I also live in Alabama and I have noticed that adding race gas to the mix seems to help the car run smoother and stronger. I mixed some 100 octane (ethanol free, detergent free, pure "gas") with some 93 octane to achieve an approximate 96-97 octane mix and I trapped at 114 mph at the drag strip. I went back a couple of months later with just regular 93 and was only trapping 110 (I do blame a little on the heat... but still it is a load based tune unless I was hitting the boost limit). I run stage 2+ aggressive. I also tried the new beta maps and actually dropped to 108/109 mph. Put 3.01 back on and immediately car ran 110 again. I am avoiding the beta maps for now. With regular 93 (almost always Shell, occasionally Chevron) I get the oscillations at lower RPM's when I floor it... especially in like 4th gear. With race gas I noticed no oscillations. I do have all new injectors and plugs (maybe 4 months ago, less than 5k miles on them).

I think the Cobb stg 2+ aggressive map is slightly too much for the 93 we have, and the summer heat definitely seems to contribute to that issue. If i am even considering racing or going to the track I go add about 5 gallons of 100 octane race gas to my tank. It is almost like in Texas they have 93.5 and here we have 92.5 and so I try to have at least 95 octane as insurance if nothing else... both to satisfy the tune and for heat.

Zeph
Appreciate 0