driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Driverman:

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it.

As you can see, I took it a step at a time and since it was my rims and my machine, I was being very careful (esp since I didn' t know if my machine
was durable enough to handle the stiff sidewalls of RFT). The only thing I noticed when reviewing the video was that when I mounted the new tire, I put the bead of the tire across the sensor. I didn't realize I did that until I saw the video at 11:44. I could have broken my sensors, but luckily that did not happen.

I bet the guy who unmounted your runflats was nervous you were watching (assuming you were watching him). I make alot of mistakes when I know I'm being examined under a microscope.

About the 51 psi inflation pressure, I always pump my tires to max to get the best mileage. What pressure do you use?

Gary
I didn't watch the guy unmount my RFTs as a courtesy to him. But I looked at the new tires mounted on the same rims and saw the damage before he took the car off the rack. I pointed it out immediately and he tried to worm out of it. He had great equipment and over 20 years experience but wasn't careful enough. That's why I appreciate what you did with less equipment.

I used the recommended tire pressures plus 2 psi. In my case (E90, 328, sports package, under 100 mph), the recommended pressure is 32 psi all around. So I run about 34.

I experimented with tire pressures ranging from 32 to 40 until I found the balance I liked, keeping a bias towards what BMW recommends. As tire pressures increased, so did harshness on rough roads.

BMW selects these pressures to strike a balance between ride, gas mileage, handling, traction, braking, safety and who knows what else. They probably run all their handling, braking and traction control tests with those pressures.

How do tires at 35 psi perform compared to tires at 50 psi? I would guess that tires inflated to 50 would provide better steering response and more of that wonderful "planted" feeling, but they probably won't hold the road as well on turns (something to do with slip angle?). How about braking? I don't understand the factors that go into handling and braking. It would be great if a tire engineer or someone from tirerack chimed in on the performance and safety ramifications of running tires at maximum pressure all the time.

Here's a good description of max tire pressure from tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=196
Appreciate 0