01-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #1268
Ryan323i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
Wow, I haven't been on the boards for a while and find this thread. I wasn't surprised though.

To start out, the N52 engine does not have "lifters". Those belong in push-rod engines. They do have HVA's (Hydraulic Valve Adjusters) and they are the cause of the ticking noise you guys are all hearing.

In the beginning of all of this, we were installing improved cylinder heads with an extra check valve installed to prevent the valve spring pressure (no matter what position the engine stops at when shut down, there is always 2 valves that are left open causing spring pressure on the HVA's) from pushing the oil out of the HVA's. This was an interim fix until the HVA's could be re-designed to prevent the bleed down. Now BMW has re-designed the HVA's to prevent the bleed down and the expensive cylinder head replacement is no longer necessary. Replacing the 12 exhaust HVA's with updated ones has fixed every car I've seen so far.

There is no long term effects from this, you could run the engine without making the repair and it would not effect it's durability at all. The noise is just a nuisance, pure and simple. Within minutes of cold start up the HVA's pump back up with oil and all is normal.

If anybody is in the mood for a quiz.........why are the intake HVA's not effected on this engine? A pat on the back for any non-BMW technician that can answer this correctly
I'm pretty sure this is what my dealer did back in November and I still have the same ticking on certain cold starts. Hmmmm