View Single Post
      07-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #67
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '07 320i (E90)

Then you will need a D-CAN Cable (K+D CAN). You can get one from Ebay from about $25 and up, but trust me, if you don't want to waste weeks of time needlessly trouble shooting into infinity, get the One Stop Electronics' cable.
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/shop/
It's like $99 but it just works. With the Ebay offerings, it's really hit or miss in terms of quality, and you are not driving just any old car.

I had initially gotten a $25 dollar cable, waited like 2-3 weeks for it, then ended up trouble shooting for another 2-3 weeks only to realize the cable was the problem, then I had to deal with the seller who did not respond for like a week until I filed an official complaint with Ebay. They then just gave up and said, sorry just keep the cable, and they refunded the $25. But by then I was already at least 1 month into nothing, and had to wait another 2-3 weeks for the good cable. That's almost 2 months before getting going with diagnostic activity!

I have no association with OSE. Just trying to save you about 4-5 weeks of waiting and frustration.

Once you have this OBD2 to USB interface cable, you can connect a laptop to your car. Download Sensible's ISID VM (or full version, but if you are not going to be using this all over town with other series models, then Sensible's ISID VM is the way to go because it will save you at least 30GB of disk s p a c e ). Then download Gini's ICOM emulator with 'snap shots'. Also download Gini's 'Instructions' for initial reference, but note that if you use Sensible's ISID VM like I did, then Gini's network settings in those Instructions will not work (the ICOM will not show up in the ISID's 'Connection manager'). That is why I posted my network settings for Gini's ICOM emulator 'snap shot' VM.

Also refer to my posts on:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ap-shot-method

Last edited by tinkerman; 07-11-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0