View Single Post
      10-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

My first BMWCCA HPDE (at Eagles Canyon Raceway) - thoughts inside

Last weekend (October 18th and 19th) was my first ever track event. Prior to this I had done only autocross, and that was in a Nissan Maxima (I did win some trophies though).

Eagles Canyon Information

I had such a blast! I won't do a full review here, but I'll list some things I learned. The morning of day two I was "upgraded" from the beginner group to the intermediate group. I was really excited about it, my instructor said I did very well. I was passing all day in the beginner group, and in intermediate I was passed a few times while I still did my share of passing, including a Dinan S3 E39 M5 wow.

Some key points learned from the experience:
  • My car (stock) is VERY fast, way faster than it needs to be.
  • Slowing from 120mph on the back stretch to make a 90 degree left makes the brakes start to fade. They never totally failed, but I could feel them soften.
  • Stock run-flats aren't horrible but aren't that great either. LOTS of understeer especially when they got hot! What can I do?
  • I turned DSC off my last session, and I was surprised that I didn't lose control of the car. I was less agressive and in many ways I felt faster because of this.
  • Once again, our cars are FAST
  • Braking HARD and late seems to be one of the keys to being fast and timing it right is the key to a good corner.

I look forward to next time!
2012 X5 35D - Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Options: Sport, Tech, Cold Weather, comfort seats, leather dash, high beam assist, lane-departure warning, soft-close doors, two-row, self-leveling suspension, hi-fi stereo
Tracks driven (in any car): Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), LeMans (ok, just the public part), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, COTA Austin
Appreciate 0