View Single Post
      12-31-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Go Horns!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

If you can choose between Austin, DFW, and Houston. Pick Austin. I grew up in San Antonio, went to school in Austin, and now live in Fort Worth. You may also want to consider San Antonio. Weather is similar to Austin, but cost of living is even lower.

Austin has a lot of people from California now because of all the tech companies. My buddy's wife is from the bay area. At first, she wanted to move back, but now she wants to stay.

Weather - Houston gets hit with hurricanes and floods every few years. DFW gets hail, so you better have a garage. DFW is also on the south end of tornado alley. Austin by far has the best weather out of three. Still going to be brutally hot in the summer. Austin's topography means it rarely suffers from a flood, and if it does, it is isolated parts of town.

For where to live in Austin, you first need to find the job. The city is split by a river, so if you work north of the river, you live north of the river, and vice versa.

Once you have the job, make sure you live in a good school district (even if you don't have kids; property value is attached to the school district). Austin ISD is not good. This is a decent guide: https://k12.niche.com/rankings/publi...erall/s/texas/

PM me if you have any specific questions.
Appreciate 0