View Single Post
      11-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #26
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Hey Everyone,

I thought I would post a bit of info from my experience from 2 weeks ago on this. I too cleaned my intake and EGR/Throttle but I did not perform any modifications.

I didnt have anywhere to pressure wash or submerge my intake, so I ended up using carb cleaner and industrial solvent (which was a bit stronger than the carb cleaner). I also used a couple screw drivers and some NYLON brushes. I can't stress enough to anyone who does this to use Nylon brushes only. Using steel brushes will instantly scratch the plastic once you get thru the carbon build up. The swirl flaps were also removed and completely cleaned as they were quite dirty. Total cleaning time was 3 days for those parts including soaking whatever I could.

In my situation, I did not have anywhere near as bad CBU as the poster, but I got a check engine light for the following codes:
1. 4687 Throttle Valve Actuator (Attached to EGR and Intake Manifold)
2. 4C7B DDE Reducing Agent Metering Valve Activation
3. 4D35 SCR Metering Valve
4. 4C4C ??? Could not find info on it

The first one was of greater concern for me because I thought it was getting gunked up. So turns out even after cleaning everything and reseting the computer, the second code came back quickly (as I expected because I did not touch it) but later in the week the 1st one came back as well.

Couple days after that again, I took the SCR Metering valve off (under the car attached after the catalytic converter / DPF) and cleaned off a bunch of white crystalized def. The metering ports (3 very small holes) did not look to have any buildup and the inlet did not have anything either. I cleaned it under hot water anyways and scrubed it down and re-installed it. I reset the computer and drove it around and after about 100 meters the light came back on and the same (2nd) code was in the computer again.

Now today, My check engine light mysteriously went off while driving. So this weekend I will have to check the codes again and reset them to see if they will come back. The Throttle Valve Actuator looked to be working fine as I could see the throttle opening and closing (From watching the spring turning) when I had someone step on the go peddle for me.

I included some pics of the Intake and EGR for you when they were dirty.

Total KM: 110,000 (65% Highway, 35% City/Traffic)
The Intake Manifold has seen 110,000KM
EGR Valve has seen about 90,000KM (Replaced around 20,000KM in recall)
Attached Images

Last edited by Xerix; 11-20-2014 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: Forgot some info
Appreciate 0