View Single Post
      09-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
StabPreflop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

N51: second, more severe cylinder misfire right after oil change. Time to worry?

So.. I have an '08 328xi SULEV sedan at 90k. Car has run great for years, except that this year, I'm on my second misfiring cylinder. The first time was in February and I was 200+ miles from home. I was able to drive home on the other 5 cylinders without issue, then have the ignition coil replaced. The second time was today; this time, in addition to the error code, the car was making such a rough clunking noise and shaking at idle, that I was debating whether to limp the ~1mi to the shop or have it towed. (I ended up limping...)

What worries me is that both incidents happened about a week or two after an oil change. Those two most recent oil changes are the only times anything but the BMW-branded oil has gone in the car. I used to order it online and bring it to the shop. In February, I decided to just let them use their own oil, after they assured me it was the correct LL01 synthetic for the car. This time (Sept 16th), I asked specifically for Mobil-1 to be used, which they said was no problem.

Anyway, is it plausible that using the wrong oil could cause these issues? What if they did use Mobil-1, but not the right variety (just guessing here), like 5W instead of 0W? And if so, should I be worried about much worse issues to come?
Appreciate 0