MDL
bye bye USA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 A3 2.0T

DIY exhaust mod

Here's a good thread for the 335 "golf tee mod"

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=golf+tee+mod

Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone else feel like this mod makes the 335 a little smoother at low rpms? I had the actuator unplugged for months and got used to it, then just this week I plugged it back in...I immediatly noticed the car would "shudder" much more when coming off the throttle at low rpms in 1st, 2nd, and even a bit in 3rd (I got the manual trans btw). In fact even my wife asked why I was having so much trouble being smooth .
There wasn't a difference in the higher rpm range, but for around town driving the golf tee mod makes the off throttle response smoother for sure. I believe it has to do with backpressure, that is, having the flapper open reduces backpressure a bit and this improves the shuddering associated with the small turbos at low speed/rpms.
Now the question is, does the ecu adapt to having the flapper open all the time? Could this be why the shuddering got so magnified when I hooked it back up after so many months? Anyway, I unhooked it today after being annoyed by the head bobbing around town, and now the car is smoother again, go figure...
Appreciate 1