View Single Post
      12-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #35
NoelWatson
Private
Rep
Drives: Rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF_E90 View Post
I am curious as well, especially given the comment that it affects "the vast majority of N53 and N54"!!!

Rolling roads give highly variable results, only taking the engines out of the "vast majority" of N53 and N54 cars and dyno testing them then stripping them down to check for carbon build up would adequately support this comment.

I think it is a fair guess this has not happened.

Yes, the N53 had coil issues, and yes various people like me had some replaced then had them fail again (only once in my case). When all the coils were done at the same time rather than piecemeal, I had no more failures - even though the first time this was done it was with the original parts. BMW then offered to change them all FOC to the newer part and again none have failed since.

I can't see this being a reason not to buy an N53 car, there are no turbos, diesel fuel pumps, intercoolers, or anything like that to fail - a lot of the current diesel engines have similar coil issues and also a lot more to go wrong - do we needlessly villify all of them? My N53 has just passed 70k miles and gives me a 34mpg average, it feels pretty fit to me! And I run it on 95RON...

By vast majority, I mean that I can't see how it can be avoided with the current crop of BMW DI engines (also Audi) - Porsche seem to be better in this respect.

I tested mine at SRR on a couple of occasions - it gives pretty consistent results both with the BMW and my NSX - I have also dynoed the latter on a Rototest dyno, so have something to benchmark against.
Appreciate 0