View Single Post
      02-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #13
The Spoon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
Thank you and I agree on the failed lifter can be remedied but I do not plan on disassembling my engine for another 100K. I plan on changing out the eccentric shaft sensor while I am in there also. If you have any other suggestions for preventative maintenance, your guidance would be appreciated.

Another question, how is the dummy chain tensioner applied? I assume it is in place of the timing chain tensioner? I am curious if trying to purchase the BMW special tool dummy chain tensioner (11 9 340) would be worth the cost. Thank you for your guidance.
Yeah, having to do the job a second time is a pretty big pain in the ass. I've taken out the cams twice in this motor and the second time around was just as exhausting as the first.

I don't believe the N54 has an eccentric shaft sensor. The only preventative maintenance items that really jump out are the bearing ledges -- or rather, the camshaft rectangrings that tear into the bearing ledges -- and maybe swap the PCV valve with a replacement from RB if you're over 50k or so, which is cake.

Yes, the dummy tensioner is there in place of the factory spring tensioner to pre-tension the timing chain so there isn't any extra slack when you tighten down the cams. The regular tensioner doesn't provide enough tension for that. Well, it might; I just never tried. On the M-series motors it was possible to disassemble the stock tensioner and add tension using pennies as spacers, but the N54 unit seems to be sealed pretty good.

I also updated the optional parts section with the tool to apply the 5.3 in-lbs of torque stated in the service manual if you want that extra peace of mind. If you tighten down the dummy tensioner too much your timing chain will start to make a whirring sound and wear out prematurely. Not good.

Last edited by The Spoon; 02-28-2015 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0