View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

The BVRLA (British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association) publish a set of wear & tear standards; I don't know if there is a like-for-like industry standard for straight-forward financed cars (rather than leased), but would argue that if not, using the BVRLA standards in lieu of nothing would be a fair and equitable approach.

As such, a couple of minor scuffs across the entire body surface of a 5 year old vehicle would be more than acceptable.

I'd also admit to having the car prep'd prior to its return (which demonstrates that as a conscientious owner you have expended money in good faith prior to its return to avoid such charges) and that if the scratches were sufficient in scope to warrant it then they would have been addressed.

As such, the charges they are imposing aren't commensurate with the impact on the cars value, nor the cost of making them good. I'd argue and (whilst not committing it to paper) tell them verbally they'll need to go to small claims court to relieve you of any money.

Should do the trick and has done for me on a number of occasions (returning lease cars)

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0