View Single Post
      09-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Just asking but how do you know that 0w-40 oils "are more suitable for our cars" and that they "will give you more protection at WOT"? Do you have any objective scientific test data to support these statement? Does this apply to all 0W-40 oils? Does this apply to all engines or just non-M BMW engines? Does this apply to just turbo and direct injection engines?

When it comes to engine oils there seems to be a lot of unsubstantiated opinions but little published objective scientific test data for people to make an informed decision. Thankfully car makers like BMW and other Euro car makers test oils and certify the oils that actually meet the engine's lubrication requirements.

As far as wear and mpg, the U.S. BMW gas engine warranty from 2006 onwards requires the use of a BMW LL-01 approved oil of 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 or 5w-40 viscosity for non-M engines. That means any of the LL-01 approved oils of this viscosity should provide excellent service, i.e. good wear and mpg. In actual use, you'd be hard pressed to measure the diff in mpg between a 5w-30 and a 5w-40/0w-40 oil especially when studies have shown that personal driving habits can change the mpg as much as 30%.
Good point - OTOH, my maple syrup/Paulaner blend increases gas mileage by at least 100% - based in part on the its Kung PAO chicken base.

Why do people always want to second guess the people that designed the cars? Conspiracy theories aside, they have a vested interest in assuring that their cars run well. They want your repeat business.
Appreciate 0