View Single Post
      01-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Forgive me if some of this is coming in bits and bites, but I've put a lot of what we learned behind me and just use the car on auto with the auto recirc' button pressed and manually override when we anticipate a lung full of some dirty old car. In fact I've got in the habit of trying to get past smelly cars if we can, (we are mainly on open roads) just to keep fresh air available.

I'm sure the right hand reciculated air mode will also 'breath' when the fogging sensor dictates the car is about to mist up.

Certainly running the full auto AC, including the compressor (snowflake button illuminated) reduces the times we have issues. BUT... we have another problem locally which adds to the mix. Our typical winter period includes wide temperature swings, above and below the 'auto cutoff' (about 4-degrees) for the compressor function. This affects all AC cars. The problem with this is, the system can build up moisture, if left on and starts causing extra misting. Erratic stuff and it is better to leave the 'snowflake' off and dry out the system. So we have compound issues, if we don't think ahead and have a dry car. Obviously if we have moisture ridden cars the auto recirculation function is less reliable, due to the fogging sensing.

I do wonder if this winter is showing this up, to more users, the variable and colder temperatures. Particularly noticeable if you don't use the car every day.

Means I pick my times to use the full system, to keep it all in working order. But it is typically on auto, and snowflake button pressed when we don't expect the temperature 'drop out' we often get even mid journey.

To be honest the systems are now too complex, IMO, the older E39 CC was complex enough, but did work better in my local environment.

Prompt me for any other detail, I'll try and help. I did end up with my local BMW workshop manager (master tech) with all the technical data across the desks, trying to fathom the depths of the IHKA system. We even had the Area Technical Manager up to join the discussions when the logger was fitted. And he came up to personally discuss the outcome with us, they even looked to see if the system could be modified in any way, but that drew a blank on practical grounds.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0