View Single Post
      08-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
You know, after posting what I did above, it occurs to me you said you bought a CPO with extended maintenance in 2011. Doesn't that get you to 2015 under BMW's coverage? If so, you shouldn't buy any after-market warranty.

It may not be the case with what you bought, but my extended maintenance extended the warranty as well. Thus the reason for this post/question....
The CPO is for 2 years following the expiration of the 4yr/50K factory warranty (which expired in April 2011 because my car is an 07).

Read your post, sorry to hear about the issues. Even with $6k potential repair cost you wouldn't buy a warranty? You make a good point on the extended warranties resulting from lawsuits. I saw the stories on the front page but am not sharp on the details (i.e. how is turbo failure determined and what types of failures are warrantied).

I understand the argument of keeping my money and just paying cash if something breaks. However, I'm gun shy because my last car was a C32 AMG that had unbelievable issues ($10K in repairs in a year) before I finally couldn't stand it and got rid of it. I also just paid $1,800 to replace the AC compressor in my wife's Lexus (something that also happened to my AMG) so maybe I'm seeing that as a probable repair (GA summers are hard on ACs).

For me, knowing that I won't have to live with looming mechanical issues or shell out for an unexpected expensive repair is worth something. For example, my diff was still working when BMW replaced it because I heard the whining/grinding. As closely as I monitor my car (do DIY oil changes every 5K with dealer changes at 15K intervals, planning to change plugs at 75K) I think the odds of something going wrong are somewhat lowered. However, the chance that I notice something (like the diff) are much higher. This makes me think that in 3 years I could come out ahead.

Kfrazie1 - what year is your car and how many miles did it have when you bought the warranty?
Appreciate 0